When your house goes on the market, you want to make sure you can sell it as quickly as possible. By fully preparing before you list, you can help move your house expediently and prevent buyers from asking for additional improvements or repairs when they purchase. Check out this checklist of things to do to get your house fully prepared for the market. Then ask yourself, “How prepared am I?”
· Tidy up your lawn and garden. Cut grass, trim shrubs and trees, replace dead plants and remove weeds.
· Clean up your yard, patio or deck. Remove any trash, debris and toys from your yard.
· Make sure your driveway and entryway are clutter-free.
· Check your outdoor faucets for leaks and repair any you find.
· Make sure your mailbox, house numbers and exterior lighting are clean and in good condition.
· Do exterior paint touch-ups as needed.
· Give your house a facelift by painting the front door.
· Inspect your chimney for cracks or missing mortar and have those items repaired if you find them.
· Make repairs to loose trim, fencing and drain pipes. Clean out the gutters.
· Add a new welcome mat to your front door.
· Clean stains and window screens. If your sidewalk or house is especially dirty, consider power washing or hiring someone to power wash.
· Declutter and organize all the remaining items.
· Sweep and scrub the garage floor.
· Apply a fresh coat of paint anywhere you need one. If your house has brightly painted walls, consider repainting with light, neutral colors.
· Clean your draperies and vacuum and steam clean your carpets (or hire a professional to steam clean).
· Make sure all lightbulbs are in working order.
· Clean all of the windows, inside and out.
· Remove any clutter from the countertops. Thoroughly clean counters, sinks and appliances. Clean your oven inside and out.
· Clean and polish or wax the floor.
· Clean tile or grout and replace it if it’s beyond cleaning.
· Clean or replace the shower curtain.
· Thoroughly clean the sinks, shower, bathtub, toilet, floors, mirrors and anything with chrome or porcelain surfaces.
· Clean or replace grout and caulk.
· Fix faucet drips or leaks.
· Make sure that doors and drawers open and close easily.
· Declutter and tidy up the shelves and racks. Neatly arrange all your shoes and clothing.
· Get a head start on packing and remove all the clothing that’s not in season from your closet.
· Do a walk-through as if you were a home buyer. Look for doors, windows, cabinets and drawers that stick, squeak or are too loose. Look for any issue which may cause a buyer to ask for additional maintenance on your home.
· Clean your fireplace and remove any smoke stains from the wall and mantle.
· Service your HVAC system and hot water heater.
· Make sure your home smells fresh and inviting. Do this by keeping everything clean and, if possible, opening the windows occasionally to air out stale odors your home may retain.
Once you have done all that, you are ready! We will review the checklist with you, stage, position and list your home! Want to know more? Contact Jacobson Realty and Home Staging. We’d be happy to get you on the path to selling your home – maybe even faster than you thought. Oh, and we have a lovely horse property that just became available! You won’t want to miss seeing this!