It may be cold outside, but during this time of year, people are taking time off to spend the holidays with their families. It’s the perfect time to get away for a long weekend retreat and enjoy some winter activities. Here are a few places in our great state to go if you’re looking for a quick winter getaway.
Bryce Resort – Bryce is located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains in Basye, VA, about an hour and a half drive from our area. There are a number of options for lodging while you enjoy the amenities at the resort during the day.
- If you enjoy snow tubing, you can take advantage of one-and-a-half-hour session on three, 800-foot tubing lanes.
- You can go ice skating at Bryce Sunday through Thursday from 9am-4:30pm, or Friday and Saturday from 9am-8:30pm. Tickets are $15 with skate rentals and $10 if you have your own skates. Sessions are one hour.
- Skiing and snowboarding just opened up at Bryce. Weekend tickets are $55 for adults and $50 for children/military. Weekday tickets are $40 for adults and $35 for children/military. Hours are Sunday through Thursday from 9am-4:30pm and Friday and Saturday 9am-8:30pm. Check the website for holiday hours.
- The ski shop offers skiing and snowboarding gear as well as maintenance on your skis or snowboards.
Massanutten Resort – Massanutten is located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley in Massanutten, VA, a little over an hour and a half away. There are nine different options for lodging.
- Snow tubing is lots of fun at Massanutten with up to 16 lanes that are 900 feet each with a 120-foot drop. You can go solo or link tubes with your friends! Sessions are 90 minutes long. Hours vary. Tickets are $25 for all ages Monday through Friday and $32 on weekends and holidays.
- The Ski Lodge has a Grab-N-Go Café and the Encounters Lounge on the second floor that features a fully stocked bar, light fare, table service, multiple TVs and live entertainment on the weekends.
- Skiing is available in 8-hour, 4-hour and night sessions. Hours vary. Rates vary as well depending which session you choose.
- Massanutten has an ice-skating rink as well. Hours and rates vary.
- If you want to get out of the cold, Massanutten also has three escape rooms and multiple virtual reality stations.
Wintergreen – Wintergreen is located on Rt. 644 in Wintergreen, VA. That’s a little over two hours from our area. Accommodations include 1-bedroom guestrooms, 1-5-bedroom condos and 3-6-bedroom homes.
- Ski lift hours are Sunday and Monday from 9am-5pm, Tuesday through Thursday from 9am-8pm and Friday and Saturday from 9am-9pm. Rates and hours vary. The Tree House is Wintergreen’s kids’ ski program.
- The Plunge is Wintergreen’s snow tubing park. It’s the largest one in Virginia at 10 stories tall and three football fields long! Rates and hours vary. Children under 42 inches can go snow tubing at Ridgely’s Fun Park. If shopping is your thing, Wintergreen has that too! Stop in at the Blue Ridge Boutique or Outdoor Elements.
- Do you need some relaxation time during the busy holiday season? Stop by the spa for a manicure, pedicure or massage services.
- Of course, you can’t forget to eat! There are plenty of dining options to choose from including The Copper Mine Bistro, Devils Grill, The Edge and Stoney Creek Bar & Grill.
Looking for real estate services in Gainesville, Haymarket or Bristow? Contact your local real estate expert Belinda Jacobson-Loehle of Jacobson Realty and Home Staging In Gainesville, Virginia today. Also be sure to sign up now for a FREE copy of my eBook, “The Real Estate Key – What You Need to Know!”
162 total views, 7 views today