Let’s face it. Moving is a hassle and can be expensive, but there are options you may not have known about or considered before that can make your life a lot easier and your wallet a lot happier.
The type of move you choose depends on the size of your home, the distance you are moving, your budget and the amount of time you have to move.
- Rent a moving truck – The biggest advantages of renting a moving truck are cost and having total control over your move. Renting a moving truck can save you thousands of dollars compared to hiring movers. You also won’t have to work around a moving company’s schedule. This is a DIY move, so if you have some willing friends to help you load and unload boxes and you’re on a tight budget, this is the move for you.
- Hire a moving company – This is the most expensive but easiest way to move. Movers will do everything from packing your boxes to loading and unloading them on the truck to moving your big furniture. Be sure to get quotes from several reputable movers before deciding who to hire. You also want to make sure the moving company is licensed and insured. If you have a flexible budget and are short on time, this type of move is for you.
- Rent a moving container – This is a hybrid type of DIY move that’s a little more expensive than renting a moving truck but cheaper than hiring movers. When you rent a moving container, the company will drop it off at your house several days before your move. You load it up yourself. Then the company comes and takes the container to your new home for you to unpack. A large container can hold the contents of a three- or four-bedroom house. If you need storage during your move, renting a moving container is a good option for you.
- Use a freight trailer moving company – Using a freight trailer moving company is ideal for larger cross-country moves. This works just like renting a moving trailer. The company drops off the trailer, you pack it, the company moves it to your new home, and then you unpack it. A freight trailer moving company is less expensive than a full-service moving company. If you have a three- or four-bedroom home and are moving across the country, this is the type of move for you.
- Have your belongings shipped – If you are moving a long distance but don’t want to drive a moving truck all the way, having your belongings shipped may be a good choice for you. This type of move is best suited for someone who isn’t moving a lot of stuff.
- Combine other options with labor-only movers – If you fall somewhere in the middle, meaning you don’t want to hire a moving company and you also don’t want the hassle of a DIY move, you can hire labor-only movers to help you load and unload the truck or container. This is also a good idea if you don’t have the manpower to do a DIY move, and it’s budget-friendly. There are a few different ways you can combine moving services with labor-only movers:
- Rent a truck and hire labor-only movers for loading and unloading.
- Rent a moving container and hire labor-only movers for loading and unloading.
- Use a freight trailer and hire labor-only movers for loading and unloading.
Take time to consider your options before making the big move. You’ll thank yourself on the other side!
Looking for real estate services in Gainesville, Haymarket or Bristow? Contact your local real estate expert Belinda Jacobson-Loehle of Jacobson Realty and Home Staging In Gainesville, Virginia today. Also be sure to sign up now for a FREE copy of my eBook, “The Real Estate Key – What You Need to Know!”
2,787 total views, 3 views today